CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday 12 July 2009

Draft of poem

Thought I'd share this rough draft of a poem with you......I wrote it a couple of weeks back, it needs some tweaking, but it already says what I want it to.
Like all my poems, it doesn't yet have a title...to me you don't give a poem a title until it is finished, like you don't name a baby until it is born. I have made a couple of changes from the original whilst just typing it up.


Where were you,
When JFK was killed?
Do you remember,
or too young?

Where were you,
When Princess Di died?
Do you remember,
or didn't you care?

Where were you
When Michael Jackson died?
Do you remember,
or were you too young, or old, to care?

Where were you
When YOUR Grandad died?
Do you remember?
You weren't
too young,
too old,
or didn't care!

But were you there?
or walking on the Moors?
Or driving through the snow?
Listening to news of John Lennon's death?
Where were you
When YOUR Grandad died?

3 comments:

Michael Gradwell said...

This poem made me think. I never knew my grandfathers but I still thought about them. I have thought about the famous people and their deaths so the poem is definitely thought-provoking. I was wondering about your first verse and whether there is room for not caring about JFK.

Sea said...

I was only 3 at the time of JFKs death, and don't think we had a TV, so it would not have stuck in my mind.

Sea said...

I was 5 when my paternal Grandad died, and my maternal one died around the same time as John Lennon..it might have been a year out...but I was more fixed on my then fiancee...and getting home from Manchester in the worst snow for years!